Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Gear of a different kind...

Yes, I know. It's been ages since I've posted anything. But I figured some of you were tired of reading about my iron levels and their determination to keep from rising to acceptable levels. So I've been kinda quiet. But I've missed blogging. Missed digital conversations with many of you. So I'm back. Plus, Renee was getting kinda lonely being the only one keeping the blog updated!

So after a long 4+ hour trail ride with Namrita yesterday, and a pretty packed day of paddling and orienteering/trekking planned for tomorrow, I took an easier ride today. I hadn't been downtown on the MTB for months. It was going to be hot and muggy no matter where I decided to ride, so I figured I'd maximize mileage and spin with a road ride on the knobbies. I hit the levy for a little grass resistance work...but the back half hasn't been mown in forever. I soldiered through face high grass for about a quarter mile and decided that was stupid. So I stuck mostly to the asphalt. 23 miles in just under two hours. It was hot and sunny so my tan got another boost. Plus, it was hot enough that the riverwalk was deserted. I didn't have to go offroad to miss trail-hogging walkers who refuse to use follow the rules of staying to the right and ill-mannered children who pay no attention to the fact that folks might be coming their way on a bike.

But the best part of the day was before my ride. Trolling the camping gear aisles at K-mart this morning, getting my individual gear ready for my first attempt at an adventure race. It's July 28th. It starts at midnight. So we'll be trekking in the dark. Paddling in the dark. Trying to find points on a map in the dark. Hoping to correctly read a compass in the dark. Yep...I purchased my first emergency blanket today. It's all folded up tight, looking like compressed aluminum foil. I bought a knife. Down here in GA hunting and fishing circles that's pronounced "NAAHF". I got the requisite compass...and am praying el Jefe will give me a refresher lesson on using it tonight! I've got a head lamp...as my helmet light won't last for 6+ hours of dark. Amazingly this wasn't to be found in the camping area...nor in the do-it-yourself area. It was over in electronics next to the CDs and video games. Weird. I couldn't find a flare or a waterproof lighter. So I'll have to go hit Dicks or Academy.

A few days ago the paper reported a dead 10 foot alligator was found on Lake Tobesofkee. We'll be in and around water for the entirety of this race. I'm hoping that no other modern day dinosaurs are going to be around. The race includes paddling and river swimming...I'm kinda hoping for a rogaine format with the swimming at the very least taking place once it's light.

More on fine-tuning for my first AR coming soon. Of course we've (Renee and I) got a 12 hour MTB race next Saturday. So you may be hearing about that too!

6 Comments:

Blogger BIKES, BEANS, AND BLUEGRASS said...

Mallie, good luck at your adventure race. Let us know the details! I just spent a couple hours at Dauset trying to learn the new course. It has more climbing throughout the lap than I thought.

5:34 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah...none if it's steep or technical...but some of the climbs sneak up on you! The one that kind of surprised me was the little climb at the end of the H&P extension. You get in that pine straw and you kind of go nowhere fast. Well...at least I did!

6:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think, Mallie, not too many years ago you and I were the fat walkers on the trail.

I'm a little surprised, actually, that you'd mock people who are there trying to get in shape. I run the trail several times a week and I have my irritations but I certainly don't begrudge overweight people their attempt to get healthier.

7:09 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Good comment, Maggie. I think "most" of my "fat" comment had to do with taking up too much space in terms of being a trail hog...not actual body composition. But I should be more careful. It's true that I was there not very long ago.

9:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fact or fiction??I can never tell ;-)

8:49 PM

 
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Good luck with the adventure race. You are way braver then me!

5:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home