Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, June 26, 2006

Operation Iron

First...before I even get started on my post. SUPER HUGE congrats to Renee for her finish at her first Xterra Offroad Tri. She was fantastic!

Where was I? I was a course marshal on the run course. I had a phone call from the doctor Thursday morning with the results from my latest blood tests. Hematocrit levels still too low for endurance activities. I'm registering a hematocrit level of 31. The low end of normal is 36. He'd like me at 37-38 before I do endurance events in the Georgia heat. The heat, humidity and adrenaline could lead to heart attack. Yep. Soon as I heard those words, I knew I wasn't going to be ignoring the doc. I was going to bow out (sure I sniffled and blubbered a bit...I'd been working really hard to get ready) gracefully.

So now I'm on a pretty regimented diet and supplemental plan. I basically don't ingest anything without looking at the overall iron in the food. I'm taking large doses of iron supplements and ensuring I'm getting plenty of Vitamin C at the same time, which helps iron absorption. I have to give up caffeine, which can keep the body from absorbing iron. That's been rough. Today's my first full decaf day. We'll see how it goes.

Honestly, I have to blame myself here. The past two weeks I've noticed some of the side effect symptoms coming back and I've ignored them. Wanting to prep for the tri as much as possible I ignored the vertigo and fatigue that were making themselves part of my daily routine again. I ignored the darkening circles under my eyes and I ignored the return of insomnia. I ignored the fact that I was back on the couch every couple of days, lacking the energy to get out and bike or run in the heat.

So, no more ignoring my body and it's cues. I'm being very strict with this diet and there will be no skipped iron pills because I was "busy" and forgot. I'm keeping a journal and marking my meals and supplements. I'm going to do my two races in July. I'm going to have normal hematocrit levels. 'Nuff said.

1 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Mallie I'm sure you'll be back to normal in no time!

As an aside, I'm not the only one to whom crongrats is owing. I have to give props to my girl Beth who got 3rd place in her second mtb race (Arrowhead on Sunday) and all the other locals who raced. As Don Bill says, any one who is willing to put on a jersey and line up on the start has my admiration.

Biggest props go to Stan, as he -- without hesitation -- handed over his bike for Grant to race on when Grant's bike broke.

:)

9:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home