Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Ok, here it is . . .

As you might have already realized by the lateness of this race report, I’ve been looking forward to writing it about as much as a middle-school book report – for a book that I didn’t read.

Let’s just say that the season can only get better.

It’s not the fact that I didn’t place that bothers me. Heck, one more birthday and I’d have been second instead of fifth in my division. And I’d be proud of my time because I beat my 2:15 goal by a minute & thirty-five seconds, but what’s gotten under my skin is that I know I didn’t really try that hard. In fact, I trained much harder than I raced. I’d give you a play-by-play, but what it comes down to is that I just didn’t leave it all on the course. And that's just not me. I don't do anything halfway.

Interestingly enough, it feels somehow as if I cheated. I remember during the swim looking ahead and seeing a full third of the swimmers cut the corners by swimming to the right of the buoys instead of going around them. I was disgusted that anyone would actually cheat in a triathlon. I thought to myself, “No WAY I’m doing that. What’s the point of doing a race if you can’t feel good about the way you did it?”

I was right. What WAS the point?

Since I never want to feel this way again, I've decided it would be best for all concerned that I make the following announcement:

*daintily clears throat and takes a sip of water*

IF YOU'RE ON THE SAME COURSE WITH ME FOR MY NEXT RACE, YOU'D BETTER STAY OUTTA MY FRIGGIN' WAY!!!

*sits down gently, crosses legs at ankles, smoothes skirt, folds hands in lap and smiles ever so sweetly*

The preceding announcement goes for everyone except Renee. NINE minutes ahead of your goal time!?! You're my new hero! Forget parading a stinking trophy around the office - you should be wearing a CAPE! And to think I knew you when you were only “this tall!” *sob* Our little girl's all grown up!

I can't get blogger to cooperate with me today, so pictures will have to follow later, folks. And let me apologize to any Triscoopers reading out there. Sorry, but I wasn't able to deliver a Moonpie transition shot. Someone borrowed our camera and didn't get there until we crossed the finish line. Maybe next time. ;)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of a slacker race report is this? Where are the details? Dern! Oh, and no pics are unacceptable ;)

8:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee wore her cape during the tri.Since it was still dirty she couldn't wear it to work ;-)

8:08 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

well, even if I didn't have the cape, I was wearing my superhero spandex! lol.
I saw those same fockers cut on the swim. I was thinking, "where are the officials out here in the boats??"
Believe it or not, people do the same thing (cut the course) in mtb races. That's why we post course marshalls all over the place, to try to prevent it from happening. I've never understood either why someone would want to do that. If you have to cheat to win, you ain't really winnin.

8:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home