Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Down...but not out

This week has been depressing and difficult. Hence lack of posts. The toe/nerve issue hasn't gotten any better...but I've got a new pair of shoes and I'm going to swap pedals to see if that helps. If not, orthotics and foot massage, followed by doctors and all that mess. Sigh. really hoping the shoe/pedal switch helps.

Anywho...got a ride in on Friday, which with the stress from a really busy stretch at work and the worry over the toes was nice. Toes were an issue, but I worked through it for a nice 30+ mile day out at Dauset with Karen & Melissa. Yeah...Melissa who never freaking posts!!! Had a dorky little wreck over a roller at the end of the ride. Dorky but painful as I managed to bruise up both legs and one arm...but no lasting damage...or so I thought.

I suffer from vertigo...I have since a nasty ear infection in my late teens, but it didn't get bad until my mid-twenties. Stress is a huge factor in flare-ups. The stress of work and worrying about my toe seemed to get that last little push from the wreck and I could tell on Monday night that an attack was imminent. I woke up Tuesday with all the fun, fun, fun symptoms. An empty feeling between my ears, a dull headache, nausea, dizziness, clumsiness, etc. It knocked me out Tuesday and Wednesday. I feel almost like my normal self today.

My first event is next Saturday. 13 hours. Baker's Dozen. Between the toes and the vertigo, I've not done much this week. If I can't get back on the bike this weekend and do a decent set of rides, I'm thinking I'll have to change my "goals" and look to this as simply a "B" event/a training ride.

Anywho...that's why the lack of posts. Not as amusing and sassy as Renee's last post. Hopefully I'll have some good news after spinning with her tomorrow night. Send good vibes my way!

8 Comments:

Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Hope that your toe feels better soon. Doesn't it suck that something so little can hurt so much??

Don't worry about having to take a few days off. Now your legs will be nice and rested and ready to race.

9:52 PM

 
Blogger ETSX Rider said...

Well if your planning on trying Dauset on Saturday there should be a few of us out there hope your doing better.

11:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second what Danielle said - Injuries suck, but they do force you to slow down now and again - and usually you come out a bit stronger than you were before you went in. Always try to look at the positive.

As for the Vertigo, well... All I can think of is the song by U2 and the movie by Hitchcock; neither of which are really appropriate here, I know ;-)

Keep it easy, and get well soon!

7:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought that empty feeling between your ears was always there for you.

8:58 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

hey Jake...#(@#*$(@)#*@(#)

:)

2:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? I didnt do anything

3:46 PM

 
Blogger FixieDave said...

Take it ez...

Get some rest. Mabe try Power grips instead of clipless pedals... You can kinda more you foot around and still have the bennies of a full pedal stroke. just my .02

Cool blog!

Dave Nice aka(slowerthensnot, cellarrat)

10:35 AM

 
Blogger Jill Homer said...

Feel better ... there's bound to be a few bad days in the mix, but it always gets better.

6:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home