Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I am so lazy

Indeed. I am lazy. I didn't realize that many of you reading this are avid Enduro Eejit subscribers, daily checking this blog in hopes of finding an update as to what us crazy ladies have going on. I know you looked at my calendar and thought, "hmmm ... Renee had a race last weekend. Wonder how it went?" So forgive me for not posting sooner, you eager beavers.

I have, in fact, had my reasons for not posting sooner. I was digesting, if you will, the events of said race. Let me sum up my thoughts this way: WTF? (mallie, can i say those real words on this blog?? didn't know if we were keeping it PG13).

Why in all that's good and holy would whoever runs the Georgia Cup races think it's a good idea to mix ALL CATS of women together? Why?

So I went up to Gainesville Saturday to do the crit for practice for the Komen Crit exactly less than one week from today. I went to Gainesville not expecting a stellar performance, just wanting to hang on and try to learn something. What I learned is that I'm no where even close to possibly maybe able to keep up with those women, nor do I care to try.

There I was, sitting on the line with about 25ish other women. I'm looking around and see the Aarons pro cycling team surrounding me. These are PRO women. I look back at Graham with a "I'm so screwed" expression, and we laugh as just then the official says "I will exercise the right to pull those of you who appear to have no chance of hanging on. You poor miserable CAT 4 souls (that would be me) should just turn in your numbers now." OK, so that's not EXACTLY what he said, but that's what I heard.

Sure enough as the Pope is Catholic, I get dropped and left as road kill 10 MINUTES into the 30-minute crit. As I turn around and see the lead pack coming up behind me, I hit the brakes and pulled off the course. Game over for Ms. Martinez.

I was assured afterward by Graham -- who hung on like a pro, by the way -- that the Komen Crit wouldn't be nearly as brutal, as they're actually racing Pro1,2 and Cat3,4 separately. What a concept! Racers of differing abilities and experiences racing in separate races! Wow! How novel!

So look for me at the back of the pack again on Tuesday at the Komen Crit. I'll be the one gasping for breath. I swear I'll stick it out this time. I can't let down my fans. lol.

5 Comments:

Blogger Robert Jordan said...

Renee, I'm new to Max Cycling even though I occaisionally ride with the Tuesday-Thursday group in Macon. I raced the omnium last weekend in Gainesville. I heard the announcer call out your name during the women's crit, but never saw you afterwards. The women's crit did seem to be pretty tough. Several brave souls (maybe Cat 4s) did ride the entire crit on their own, but you were not alone in calling it a day against the Aarons team onslaught. Those girls were puttin' the hammer down! Good luck in your upcoming Cat 3/4 crit. If I'm able to scam an extra team kit from Rick when they come in (no, I didn't get in gear early enough to place an order), then I'll fly the team colors at some of the future Georgia Cup events.

8:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We oughta try and do some pirate MTB crits on pavement during the evenings. Would be fun and a good workout. Hell, I'd pump the tires up on the 20 and get in the mix.

10:39 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey...you can post the real words. I don't think we have too many impressionable youths checking out the site. I've been just as slack about posting. My reasons aren't as exciting as yours.

New shoes today in the hope it helps with the foot thing...but I'm kinda worried.

Awesome post and I'll be there at the Komen Criterium cheering you on!!!

7:54 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

robert,
the ironic thing is that the announcers called my name as i went by ... about 20 yards later is when I pulled out. lol.

9:22 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

it's about time someone posted something! gezzz!

1:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home