Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Before I have to hear ...

"Hey Renee, where were you last weekend?"
or
"Hey Renee, why aren't you racing this weekend?"

Let me just say that aside from the ankle/foot issues I've been dealing with during the last two months I've had a few other realizations about why I ride. I've taken a look at how I ride, when I ride, why I ride. And I've realized that the super-competitive spark I once had for cross-country racing has waned. I guess after four years of racing the same trails (more or less) the thrill was bound to wear off. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy doing some of the races -- I showed up for Helen and Carter's Lake -- but I've found myself wanting a greater challenge, something to keep my goals fresh.

So my great realizations basically equated to this: when I ride, I don't ride to train. I really can't push myself to "race pace" when I'm not actually racing. Race pace is usually not fun. And I ride for fun. I also ride for the health benefits. Forcing myself to "train" for a cross-country race will sometimes make me get out and ride even though my body is telling me to take the day off. I've unfortunately had some bad races because I didn't listen to my body and back off with the training. While going over a new obstacle is always a challenge, I'm comfortable with my skill set on the bike, and am just looking to stay strong, not make any more great strides in speed. And with the cross country races getting faster and faster (or maybe the competitors are just riding harder and harder) you have to constantly get faster to stay with the pack.

So ... for the handsful of folks who've asked me where I've been lately (ie, not at the last few cross country races): I've just been riding. Having fun out there on the trail. Staying strong. Staying positive.

You know, when I set my goals for the year in January, I didn't anticipate losing the desire to do the cross country races, and so my calendar was full of them, as has been the case for several years. So, I'm making this post just to let folks know that I'm not chickening out, I'm not out of shape or unprepared, I just have a different plan in mind.

Also at the beginning of the year I made it a goal to do at least two or three triathlons. Enough to get a taste of the sport and to give it a fair chance. I never realized I would enjoy them as much as I do. And that's right, I REALLY have enjoyed the one's I've done this year. Afterward, I wasn't left with that "it's just another race finished" feeling. I was excited. I was exhilarated. I loved it! So in altering my exercise schedule to reflect my intentions to keep on doing the tris, something had to give. Cross country gave. Then enter the single speed. I really have developed a love for riding it. It's a new challenge on the bike!

I still plan to stay around the cross country scene ... but more like this year, where I race a handful of races -- basically the races on the trails I really love. And as for the local races, I get too stressed out trying to help organize the events to actually race them. Plus, I've lost count of the number of times I've raced at the Pig. lol.

Good luck to the locals who are racing this weekend at the Pig. In the words of GoFastPops, anyone who is willing to strap on a number and get on the starting line has my respect.

Happy riding!
:)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Renee – great post. Really made me think. If I’m able to stay with the XC racing thing a few years (and have your kind of success), I hope I’ll have your courage and wisdom to back off a bit and mix things up if I start to lose that passion.

Yeah, I’m already learning that the “fun, fast rides with friends” definitely beat the “kill it till you crash training rides by yourself.” LOL. Can’t wait til Santos!

9:53 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post, Renee. It actually gave me a thought for a post which I'll actually get done tonight or tomorrow morning.

It's pouring. Yuck!

4:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on, Renee! I know exactly where you're coming from. I love to ride, period. If I'm hurt, I can't ride and life sucks. Screaming race pace during a xc race, I risk wrecking my knees or flying over the handlebars. Plus, it's so damn hot and I end up feeling wasted the next day. At the moment I'm perfectly fine getting in my social mtb and road rides and doing a charity ride here or there. Sprinkle in a little adventure racing and some endurance mtb events, and viola! LIFE IS GRAND!

8:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had no idea you played viola, Courtney :P

This is a good topic that I think every serious athlete deals with at some point - the question of whether you truly continue to enjoy competing at a certain level or if you're just doing it because of some sense of obligation and deep down, it's really not fun anymore.

Good luck figuring it out either way.

9:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ride to eat pizza and drink good beer!

11:20 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

Yes, I'l have to admit, watching the race made me want to be a part of it. But then I thought about how I'd been out there volnteering all day Sat and all day Sun and how freakin exhausted I would have been had I tried to race.

The part I really missed though??? Racing creating an excuse to eat a big and fatty dinner Sunday night!!
:)

9:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure did not miss that cost! ;)

9:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CiCi's, $3.99. Keep. It. Real.

9:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home