Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, September 16, 2006

50 Things About Mallie

Just got back from a four mile run (all right...since I'm just getting back into full swing there was about a 1/2 mile of walking) and have a little time to kill before I head out to do some trail work at East Macon...so having seen various 100 and 50 things lists on some of the other blogs, thought it'd be fun to let some of you folk who read know some of the lesser known things about Mallie. I mean...we're already blog buddies...so why not get to know eachother. I encourage all of you to do the same so I can come up with even better comments to your posts!

(edit) I couldn't sort out all 50 things at once. So now I'm back from two hours of trail work and I'm doing all I can to get to 50.

1. Mallie is not my given/legal name. It's Mary Lynn.
2. My eyes were blue until I was six years old. Then they started their turn to the current green.
3. I've had all my fingers and toes (excluding thumbs) broken at least once.
4. I don't eat any vegetables except corn, carrots, lettuce and cucumbers...I do however love fruits, so I do get my vitamins.
5. I met my husband on the Internet.
6. I double majored in history and political science
7. I spent the first twenty years of my life as a resident of the state of California.
8. I wore braces for over four years. My gums were so strong my teeth wouldn't respond to straightening methods, so I had to have gum surgery to make them "less" strong.
9. I am one of five children, and each of us has the potential to have our birthday to fall on a holiday (one sis Easter, one sis Mother's Day, two of us girls Father's Day, and my brother Labor Day).
10. My "type" throughout high school and college was pretty much the exact opposite of my husband.
11. I absolutely cannot wear socks to bed no matter how cold it is. They drive me nuts.
12. I played soccer (goalkeeper, which explains #3 and sweeper) from the time I was six until my second year of college.
13. I was on the track team in high school, but I didn't run. I threw the shotput and discus.
14. I only medaled once in my track career...though I had good form and technique most of my competitors outweighed me by 50-100 pounds (no, I'm not joking).
15. My 65 pound dog thinks he's a 10 pound cat and likes to curl up in my lap on occasion.
16. I have two tattoos.
17. I don't like anyone, even my husband, rubbing my neck. Thus I don't do massages.
18. My one attempt at yoga involved me kicking a wooden block across the floor and nearly nailing another yoga newbie!
19. I absolutely love Christmas and make quite a lot of my my gifts, packaging, wrapping paper and cards.
20. My biggest pet peeve is tardiness...it really sets me off, especially in business situations.
21. Another high ranking peeve is folks who ride bicycles and don't wear helmets.
22. Folks think generally my little sister and I look like twins or look nothing alike...never in-between.
23. I was made fun of for saying "you guys" instead of "y'all" when I first moved to Georgia.
24. Fifteen years after moving to Georgia I still have no discernable accent and people still ask me to slow down when I'm speaking to them.
25. My husband's cat was diabetic...and yes that means we gave him an insulin shot daily.
26. My favorite song is "My Dream Girl Don't Exist" by Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel.
27. Though I'm kind of an indie music snob, I do like some mainstream acts, especially the Killers.
28. My mom passed away in 1995 after spending almost two years in a nursing home after a stroke. She was only 55.
29. My sister and I called my dad "Jorge Cafe" as a joke, since his name is George Coffey.
30. I once patched together a split exhaust pipe with a shoelace...and got myself home after seeing sparks flying out from under the car on Interstate 75.
31. I used to be a commodities broker. I helped clients buy and sell agriculture futures on the Chicago Board of Trade. Yes, that includes pork bellies.
32. My little girl nickname was "punkin".
33. As I got older my dad started calling me "meathead".
34. My stride is as long or longer than men several inches taller than me, as I was daddy's little girl and I did everything to keep up with my 6' 3" father.
35. Though I enjoy reading anything and everything, there's nothing like a little chick-lit when you want an easy read.
36. I used to love the Piers Anthony "Xanth" chronicles.
37. I'm a very light sleeper.
38. I sleep with one of those nosemaking machines set to the "wind" setting. My husband calls it the wind-jammer.
39. I've recently fallen in love with kayaking...I'm currently saving up for a new kayak.
40. I had numerous concussions as a youth, mostly soccer related accidents, but none since I took up mountain biking.
41. My feelings get hurt pretty easily.
42. I flush spectacularly when I'm nervous or angry.
43. I love planting flowers and plants, even from seed, but I'm very bad about maintaining said plants.
44. I love mythology and folklore...I'll read almost anything, fiction or nonfiction that has to do with King Arthur or Greek, Celtic or Norse gods and goddesses.
45. My sister and I used to amuse ourselves on long drives by harmonizing on Simon & Garfunkel tunes.
46. My favorite snack food in the world is Cheese Puffs, but I prefer to leave the bag open over night so they're stale and chewy. YUM!
47. I once had a cat named Tybalt, after the Prince of Cats in Romeo and Juliet.
48. I adopted a cat in January this year after she was abandoned at a local mountain bike trail. I named her Turkey Trot after one of my favorite sections of the trail.
49. My favorite ice cream flavor is a toss up between German Chocolate Cake and Birthday Cake.
50. I was deeply saddened by the death of "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Fifteen years after moving to Georgia I still have no discernable accent and people still ask me to slow down when I'm speaking to them.

Which I guess means to them you have quite an accent.

I can relate to the run too ... I did 4 miles today with LOTS of walking :o)

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay

9:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home