Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Shhhhhh...Don't Tell Hashi

Yes, it's true. I've become one of those folks who wears a heart rate monitor while exercising. I never thought I would be...but the anemia related heart flutterings and shortness of breath were the final push to pick one up.

I'm sticking as true to my anti-HRM stance as possible, though, by refusing to pay kaboodles of bucks for all the bells and whistles found on many of the newer, flashier, high-tech models. I'm just using the low end Polar monitor. It has a stopwatch, tells me my heart rate and stores one workout. I can set a high and low zone and it can beep (or not) when I get higher or lower than what I want for a specific workout. And that's about it.

It's pretty easy for me to keep in the low and easy zones on the bike. Did a 4.5 hour downtown ride on Sunday and never had any problems keeping it on track. The running is another issue. I'm going to spend some time treadmill running so I can get some ideas of what I need to to do to keep that on target. Haven't tried it in the pool yet. That will be a real adventure.

I also promise not to become one of those annoying HRM proponents. You know the ones that put it on for a walk around the block with their dog and then proceed to detail each heartbeat to anyone and everyone regardless of interest or lack thereof.

I'll let you know if I get the running rate sorted. I plan to do base work on the runs too (long, low speed, low heart rate). So I hope I get it sorted out soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I also promise not to become one of those annoying HRM proponents. You know the ones..."

Hey! I represent... Errr... Resent that remark!

;-)

1:25 PM

 
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Hey! Thanks for your nice comments on my blog. I can't WAIT to hit my mountain bike--my hubby is excited to have me "back" but I really need to do some trails on my own, so I don't bore him to death with my lack of skills and road riding techniques...ha ha ha!

Oh, and I won't tell anyone about your HRM. As long as you don't tell too many people I caved and got the 305. :) But at least I don't put the charts up all over the place and blah blah blah about it incessantly...:) Or, do I? I don't think I do....ha ha

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Sara...I won't rat you out. Can't wait to hear how the dirt riding goes with Matt. A group of you cold weather folks should ocme south to visit Georgia...we complain about the cold...but it's nothing like what you guys endure.

8:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home