Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Hurts So Good

Off season is here...well, with all the medical issues it's not like I really had an "on" season...but you know what I mean. And with it comes the re-entry of weights into the workout schedule. I'm determined to really add to my core and upper body strength this year, as it will only add to my ability to hang on in the later hours of the endurance races I plan on entering next year.

Been slowly easing back into the lifting, and am now actually fully back on a schedule, which I love. I know Renee likes a more flexible outlook in her training, but I do best with planning, set workouts and set goals. So I hit the weights pretty hard on Thursday and again this morning.

I have that lovely slight tenseness and minimal soreness that makes you aware that you've really worked the various muscle groups. Because I do spend the bulk of my day hunched over the computer, and because I don't have the best posture to begin with, I'm concentrating on really increasing the strength of my back in order to help try to correct some of my postural problems. I'm also working hard on my triceps, as they aren't as in balance with my biceps as I'd like.

I'm pretty lucky that years of soccer and volleyball, as well as no fear of working my hamstrings on the weights, have allowed me to keep a pretty good balance between my quads and hamstrings, despite numerous hours and miles on the bike. But I'm not taking that balance for granted (especially after the knee pain and tightness Beth's been dealing with) and have been working diligently to ensure that I don't lose that balance.

So I've got my workout in already and have the day to catch up on some chores. Time to wash all my sweaters and let then dry naturally in the brisk fall air (well, brisk for Georgia in October). And tomorrow I tackle my first real road bike ride...around the streets of downtown Macon. Walnut shouldn't seem so daunting on the skinny tires after years of tackling it on the knobbies.

Enjoy your weekend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home