Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, February 16, 2006

mmmm...fiber

Besides the increased exercise, I've been pretty diligent about revamping my diet. For me that mostly meant dropping refined sugars and easily digested, full of sugar carbs. Since I'm not much of a meat eater (turkey and chicken, minute amounts of beef and pork on occasion) and loathe beans...getting protein can be difficult. Soy milk and meal replacement drinks help bridge the gap...but I've found another resource that also gets me plenty of whole grains and some good healthy fat from flax seeds.

Hodgson Mill products are pretty freaking some of my new favorites. I'd been eating couscous to get some protein with an easy to fix meal (can't beat boiling water, putting in the grains and letting them sit until ready). The other day I came across this product:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Whole Wheat Couscous with milled flax seed and soy. Let me just tell you...this stuff is filling. VERY, VERY filling. Almost scarily so! Cut your normal serving size in half or you're going to be aching.

Image hosting by Photobucket

They've also got this great pancake mix with milled flax and soy, which I partake of at least one time daily. I make up a big batch and keep them in the fridge/freezer. I use them as a bread substitute with some natural peanut butter and all fruit spread. You can also eat them plain, kind of like a biscuit, but a much healthier than normal biscuit. I make mine with vanilla soy milk and add in some vanilla and almond extract for extra sweet flavor and they're an easy, healthy and pretty darned tasty snack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home