Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, February 17, 2006

Pumping Up Immunity

The other day I sent a bunch of riding pals and fellow multi-sport gals a link to an article about overtraining and the symptoms and ramifications of overtraining. One of the biggies for me is a reduced ability to fight off the sniffles and random bugs that fly around town and through the circle of co-workers and friends. Supplements of Vitamin C and a multi-vitamin helped a little bit...but I thought there might be something else I could do.

Image hosting by Photobucket
I started drinking one of these DanActive with L. Casei Defensis yogurt drinks each morning. At 90 or 40 calories a pop (I prefer the 90, as it gets some calories into my body first thing in the morning, boosting metabolism, which is a different story I should post about later) they're quick and pretty tasty. I prefer the Tri-Berry flavor. It's a probiotic drink. According to the DanActive site:

Probiotics are living micro-organisms which upon ingestion in sufficient numbers, exert health benefits beyond basic nutrition. To be effective, the probiotics must arrive in the small intestine alive and in great numbers. Studies show that DanActive’s L. casei Defensis™ is resistant to the digestive action of the stomach and duodenum.

Also according to the site:

The probiotic culture L. casei Defensis™ is, in comparison to other yogurt cultures, more resistant to the stomach acid and is therefore getting in a high concentration in the intestine, where about 70% of the body's immune cells are located. Once there, DanActive with L. casei Defensis™ can help strengthen our body’s defenses.

I've been using it for about two weeks now, and though that's not very long, I can say that the case of the sniffles I've been battling since late December is finally basically gone and I'm finding I don't wake up snuffling or get the coughs and sniffles I used to endure post cold rides. I don't have allergies, so I know these were mini-colds I was getting, probably due to the stress of lots of working out on top of a life (work, husband, family, social obligations, etc.). I'm going to keep using it and will post again after a few of this season's events to see if my immunity continues to be upped by using this product.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home