Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, March 03, 2006

My fast friends...

I rode at Dauset today, with Namrita. I like riding with Namrita. She's faster than me. But I don't really notice it. She doesn't really slow down for me, but she also doesn't hammer and leave me in the dust. I always catch up within about a minute...and then we chat and laugh about anything sketchy we did, then a time will come when she is faster than me again. Debbie and Renee are like that too. I'm not fast. I'm steady and ride a moderate pace. Now I know there are a couple folks who think of me as their "faster" friend. I hope I leave them feeling like I feel when I ride with Nam. A little pushed, but never stressed. I always know she'll be up ahead offering encouragement and a laugh.

Today Nam was testing out her new Kona 29" bike. SS to boot. So it was a little easier to keep up with her, but she still dusts me on the downhills. She's not tentative like me. Here she is testing the wide bars and big tires over the stacked logs at the bottom of Pine Mountain.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Go Nam...


We did 20 miles...moderate pace and basically just enjoyed some fantastic weather. We rode Turkey Trot in both directions...and that creek crossing is getting to be less of a chore for me each time. I've got some weird phobia about creek crossings...probably because they're composed of rocks.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Mal descends Turkey Trot
(the trail...not the new cat...d'uh)

We finished the ride with some fun on the beginner loop. Love those big dips and bermed turns. It's fast and flowy, and you feel like you've got mad skills even if you're a mad sketchball...that'd be me. The camera angle and the slight blur make me look fast, don't they!

Image hosting by Photobucket
Sassy pigtails, too, don'tcha think?

Final note is kinda scary. I got home and decided the bike was long overdue for a bath. While bathing her black sassiness, I saw that a link in my chain was about to fall apart. Who knows how close I came to the feared chain snap endo? I'm especially glad I saw it, as I'm acting as a rabbit in a road race tomorrow. Can you imagine the sight...me in front of a bunch of spectators and all the runners, flying over the handlebars, SMACK on the pavement. YIKES!

5 Comments:

Blogger Danielle Musto said...

Just looking at those pics makes me want to move. It's nice to see what the ground looks like without being covered with snow. I think that I've forgotten what it feels like just to wear bike shorts :-)

10:29 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

We're just wusses. I'm in arm warmers and long pants if it's below 40!

10:41 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

I've never heard of anyone go over the bars when they're chain snaps. From my experience (and watching Jake do it about 20 times) the chain breaks and your ability to move the bike forward just stops. You kinda spin real fast and wonder what the heck happened. (Sucks on a hill though -- I did it once at Carter's Lake).
I suppose you could go over the bars if the chain were to fly off and go into your wheels or drive-train and stop your gears, but mostly they're too heavy to snap like that.
So have no fear of the chain breaking! It's not that bad!
:)

9:47 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:47 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Every wreck I've ever seen with a chain break has been an ugly endo. Guess it's all relative.

11:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home