Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, March 03, 2006

A Patrick Swayze Moment

"Feel her breath on my face
Her body close to me
Can't look in her eyes
She's out of my league
Just a fool to believe
I have anything she needs
She's like the wind ..."

OK. So if you think about it, you really can make just about any song into a song about bikes. Seriously. I was thinking of how to put into words my awesome experience riding Cannondale's new Rush yesterday. Then all of the sudden, "She's Like the Wind" pops into my head. Easy enough, as this song was every-freakin-where when I was younger -- thanks in part to "Dirty Dancing."

So back to the bike:
She was like the wind -- very zippy.
And I did feel her frame -- (which to keep this musical reference list going, was akin to Joni Mitchell's "Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire") -- very close to me as i rode.
She is quite out of my league -- with the top of the line coming somewhere near $5,000.
And I am indeed a fool to believe that I could ever afford her. Such a pricey dame. (Billie Holiday's "That's Why the Lady is a Tramp" sounds appropriate)

I'm real weird about riding different bikes. I like my Cannondales. I like the way they fit. I like the familiarity. When I ride other bikes I feel lost, a little out of control, and definitely not comfortable. That's part of the reason I've been a little hesitant to seriously begin the search for a full suspension. I wanted to branch out of the Cannondale family and try something new. But I was afraid I'd find nothing, and end up with another Cannondale to add to the family of two I already own. Why can't I mix it up a little??? Oh what the hell, thinks I, I'll just test out that new Rush. I probably won't like it anyway.

Wrong.

I'm so sorry, Cannondale family, how could I have doubted you. The Rush was, well, a rush. And hopefully, arriving soon at a trail near you, will be me on a new Rush -- that is, if I can beg, borrow and steal enough to afford one. What's that I hear? Something playing in the distance? Why, it's the Beatles singing "With a Little Help From My Friends":

"What would you think if I (needed a bike),
Would you stand up and (say screw you)?
Lend me your (cash) and I'll (say 'hey thanks!')
And I'll try not to (ride out of true).

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, I get (new bikes) with a little help from my friends
Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

Do you need (a new bike)?
I need (a new bike) to love
Could it be any (new bike)?
I want (a Rush) to love."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love it! Great post.

3:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home