Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, March 13, 2006

weekend 'o riding and related schtuff

The weather her in Middle GA was absolutely wonderful this weekend. 81 on Saturday and 85 on Sunday. Lots of sun, some clouds passing through from time to time, and the humidity was present, but not stifling.

Saturday I hit the trails with Karen and Beth. Beth had recently clipped in and never dealt with sand, so had a few rough moments out at the sandfest we call East Macon. But, as always, she's a trooper and despite the many scratches (did I mention that sticker bushes surround all the sand at EM) she put in some great climbing and figured out the way to deal with sand by the end of the ride.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Karen & Beth...sweaty but sassy post climb

Sunday I hit East Macon again, bright and early. Well, 10...but I was up at 5:30. That's sleeping in when the alarm clock normally goes off around 4:15. I met two of my fellow Sorella speedsters, though I didn't ride. The trail needed some good hard trimming...so I hiked several miles with my loppers in tow.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Lopper girl, self portrait

Kerry was blazing fast and I never managed to have the camera ready to get her on film. I did managed to get a very nice shot of Melissa (mxmelba - not Melissa Neal) as she powered up one of the steeper climbs at the beginning of the race course.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Sorella Melissa powering up the climb

After two hours of hiking and trimming I set the green meanie toward the Thomson trails. Put in not quite forty miles on the trails and on the road (half and half). Got to watch the guys on the dirt jumps. Always impressive. Especially BKX Jason, who's brake cable snapped early in the session. He had one pretty spectacular loop out which I wish I'd caught on video, and apparently came close to colliding with me once, though I didn't know it as my back was turned and the MP3 player was going as I pedaled toward a trail entrance.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Me and my pigtails at Thomson

It was an all around great day, Sunday. All those miles meant pizza! Yum! And a Milky Way Dark for dessert. Sweet!

5 Comments:

Blogger ETSX Rider said...

Hey there since your a web designer maybe you can help me with this issue I am having as to how to add a pic to my profile. Have the file I want just don't know how to transfer it to a URL for the website. By the way cool blog, whats the eejit stand for?

9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mallie -- had fun riding Saturday! The scratches are starting to heal and I wasn't even sore on Sunday. :) Renee's going to show me the whole trail later this week -- maybe the sand won't win this time...

9:34 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

yeah what's this i hear? you didn't take beth and karen on the whole trail? i know there may have been a climb or two that would have been a challenge, but you should have at least let them try it out!! the only way we get stronger is to try, fail, and keep trying until we get it. meet beth and i after work on tuesday and we can all ride it together!
jake and i went out there sunday and must have just missed you. we saw don and angie doing trail work though, and there were lots of folks riding!

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Actually it had nothing to do with Karen or Beth. I didn't want to do that section again. I did it once before they got there and since I wanted to do a long ride on Sunday, I held off. Never said Karen or Beth couldn't do it. Sometimes I cater the rides to me!!! :)

10:34 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

well come ride with us on tuesday night, and we can do as much hard or easy stuff as you like!
:)

10:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home