Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Yoga - The First Class

Hmmm...how to start? Well, I guess I knew things were going to be disappointing when the music started. I'd describe it as eastern interpretation of Anglo-classics. Yep. Greensleeves was the one that made Felicia say, WTF. For me it was Memories. GACK!

Then there was the fact that the first night I go, it was a substitute instructor. She asked if there were any new folk. Two of us raised our hands. Then she failed to speak in a loud enough voice for any of us to hear her, newbies or naturals, and she stood in such a way that we two newbs couldn't even see her to imitate her poses. So I had to cue from Felicia & Lauren (who I had no idea was going to show up).

Final straw came when she couldn't even hold any of the balance poses for 5, that's right just 5, seconds without serious wobbling. I mean, come on...that was a turn-off.

Finally, the class came to its conclusion with some weird relaxation tape with this guy speaking in what I'm sure he assumed was a relaxing voice, with this weird sci-fi movie score music behind him. For some reason it put me in mind of the Dark Crystal and I pictured scenes from the flick while I was supposed to be consciously relaxing.

Now...off the negative. A couple of the poses and stretches felt really good. And several class members begged me to not give it up and come back next week, as the "real" instructor is supposed to be fantastic. So I will go back.

My crowning moment: Lauren kindly grabbed me a wooden block as she wasn't sure if we'd need it for any of the poses (she's a newbie too, only one class before this one). One of the pose sequences called for you to swing your leg out from under you as you lowered to the floor. I did, and sent the block hurtling at fairly high pace at the other newbie behind me. Luckily it didn't nail him, as it was a pretty impressive block of wood and I got some serious motion out of it. Hope I didn't ruin anyone's zen moment!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger christine said...

that's pretty funny.........i just signed up at the Y and have only got so far as to look into the window of a yoga class...my last experience there wasn't great, partly my fault though. my husband and i went to a huge class and he has some back issues and i work in the rehab field and felt qualified to modify poses as the class went on, well this pissed off the instructor and he proceeded to point out every mistake i made for the remainder of the class! i tried to be mellow about it and i mentioned that some stiffness and pain would occur during a certain poses and the jerk had the nerve to say "maybe you've got some anger issues!" hell yeah, i've got anger issues but it sure wasn't his place to point them out...in our first meeting ...in a yoga class!
talk about a ruined zen moment.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Christine...it's good to know I'm not the only one busting up the joint! We'll see how it goes next week!

9:16 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

you should come to missy's class. she's awesome. noon on thursday at theraputic massage across from st. joe's downtown. she's very encouraging and walks around the room helping you stetch into the correct positions.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Renee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Already paying for the WC, and from all reports, the regular guy is good - I'm not quitting...will give it another couple shots. Plus it fits into my schedule...sort of. Glad you're enjoying it with Missy. She's a sweetie.

10:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home