Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, May 08, 2006

Ft. Yargo fun fest

We had a blast at the Ft. Yargo Dirty Spokes 12 hour event this weekend!! My 3-woman team (myself, Karen and Beth) took first place in our category (4-person female team). We chose to run a 3-lady team in the 4-person category because we weren't planning on being very competitive -- having fun was the goal -- and we wanted to get more laps in than a 4-person team would allow. So, I registered us in the "4 person team" category. Come to find out, the promoters broke out the female teams separately ... and we were the only one! lol. I'd like to think though, that if there were other teams in our category, we still would have won!

The trail was wet and slick in the morning, but not nearly as bad as our pre-ride on Friday -- some of which was more like a slip-n-slide event than an actual ride. The sun came out Saturday, the trail dried up and it got hot!! Big thanks to Debbie who held down the fort as our "team mom" and fetched me some water and Coke when I was too pooped to simply walk five yards to get it.

Each time I went out on a lap all I wanted was to get passed by Tinker. That's right. Tinker Juarez was there ... and he spanked EVERYONE!! In fact, most of our little team (I'm including our three solo compatriots: my BF Jake, Deb's hubby Grant, and Mr. Mark Duffus) got passed by Tinker more than once. But I never had the pleasure. I like to think that it's cause I was too fast for him. He just couldn't catch me! lol. I knew that theory was crap when I got passed late in the day on the powerline climb by a guy, probably in his 60s, wearing shorts and a t-shirt, riding a steel frame bike, on flat pedals. holy cow! talk about humbling!

So this race made me dread -- and get excited about in a sadistic sort of way -- the 12 hours of Dauset coming up in July. As the temperature climbed this weekend, all I could think about was how 85 degrees in July would be considered quite cool! I'm going to have to get my body ready to withstand the heat all day so I don't pass out somewhere on Huff N Puff. And to make matters more challenging, I'll be doing Dauset on a 2-person team with a guy who rides really fast. So ... not much downtime, and lots of riding!! I think this means I'm going to have to actually (insert sounds of doom here) TRAIN for the event. Oh! I hate calling it "training" cause it takes the fun out of things.

Speaking of training, while racing Saturday I got to talking with solo female racer I Ling Matthews (who was an absolute cool chic and ended up winning her event). You know, it's amazing the quick kinship that develops on the trail. I had just met the gal and we're talking chamois butter and saddle sores. lol. I ended up with a little of both, so I think I'm giving in and trying the butter next time I go for a long ride.

Something many folks out there were complaining of was lower back pain during the race. This has happened to me before at previous 12 hour events, and I'm wondering what's the culprit. Not being used to several hours in the saddle? A need to strengthen my abs (as the opposing muscle group to my back)? I think my bike position is correct, so that can't be it. If any experienced 12/24 hour folks have fought back pain -- and won! -- please offer some suggestions. I feel like I could have ridden longer and harder if it hadn't been for an aching back!

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ah ha! You told me you'd never use the evil butt butter. Niener niener...etc.

4:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mental sticky note: Do Yargo in '07

7:56 PM

 
Blogger Renee said...

felipe,
i think the particular guy who passed me was on a blue bike, but ... i could have very well gotten passed by Lloyd as well. lol. hope y'all had as much fun as we did!
:)

8:45 AM

 
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

have you tried bag balm? it's an essential item for a long ride. so is a wingnut gear pack, it's solved my lower back problems (and i've had them many times).

12:42 PM

 
Blogger Renee said...

namrita,
never tried bag balm or any chamois butter type stuff ... but i will. i checked out the wingnut web site. those hydration packs look great. was it difficult to adapt to the shift in weight? i was thinking of getting the "assault" and giving it a go.

1:06 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Renee...I have a fanny pack hydration system you can try out just to see if you don't mind the weight down low. If that works for you then you'll love the wingnut pack. I'm hoping one of them shows up for the B-Day.

1:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:21 PM

 
Blogger Danielle Musto said...

I highly recommend the assault! It's lightweight and doesn't shift around at all.

3:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of Bodyglide for all my chafe-prevention needs.

9:17 PM

 
Blogger Namrita O'Dea said...

Renee, the fit of the Wingnut feels really natural. If it is at all uncomfortable when you put it on, it means you need to adjust the harness straps to either shorten or lengthen them. In any case, it is immediate relief and VERY easy to get used to :)

Good luck,
Namrita

10:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home